Overview History of Ludlow
Ludlow, Kentucky is located in northern Kenton County on the Ohio River.
The city is bordered by Covington to the east, Bromley to the west and
Fort Wright to the south. Elmwood Hall, the first permanent residence
in the city, was constructed in 1818.
In 1830, Elmwood Hall and most of the present day city was purchased by
Israel Ludlow. It was Ludlow who platted the first streets and lots in
1846. The new village became popular with wealthy Cincinnati businessmen.
These Cincinnatians constructed numerous large residences in the town,
many of which still stand today.
The Commonwealth of Kentucky chartered the City of Ludlow in 1864. Residents
of the city hoped that a local government would be able to regulate the
infrequent and expensive ferryboat service to Cincinnati.
Ludlow changed from a rural area to a working class suburb in the 1870s
with the arrival of the Cincinnati Southern Railroad (also known as the
Queen and Crescent Railroad). Many new residents, especially German and
Irish immigrants, were attracted to Ludlow by the ample supply of railroad
jobs. This frequent and dependable railroad service also attracted many
other new businesses to the community.
As the population of the city increased, new subdivisions were developed.
Among these were Woodland Park and Ludlow's Second Addition. Several hundred
new homes were constructed in these areas, many in the Victorian Style.
Ludlow experienced another building boom in the years following the First
In the eastern end of town, the Morningside Addition was constructed along
the south side of Highway Avenue. Much of the city's west end was also
developed during this era on the former site of the Lagoon Amusement Park.
The baby boom following the Second World War filled Ludlow's schools
and churches. By 1950, the population had reached 6,374. Several new developments
were built at this time including the 600 blocks of Laurel and Linden
Streets. The 1950s also witnessed the development of the Ludlow Heights
on the south side of Highway Avenue.
The population of Ludlow began to decline in the late 1960s. Many Ludlow
residents were drawn to the new suburban cities located in to the south
and west of the town. Smaller families also contributed to this decline.
By the early 1980s, the population had stabilized at 4,500.
Today, Ludlow is known for its close-knit neighborhoods and excellent
independent school district.