The Ludlow-Bromley Swim Club was organized in 1959. The first officers
were: Louis "Duke" Bodkin (president), Mike Cross (first vice
president), Robert Reeves (second vice president), Ronald B. Jones (secretary),
and Wilfred Bullock (treasurer).
The club built a swimming pool in 1959 on a 5-½ acre parcel of
property near the intersection of Sleepy Hallow Road and Adela Avenue.
The original entrance to the club was from Sleepy Hollow Road. Architect
William R. Roeding designed the complex. The issuing of bonds to 500
charter members financed the $125,000.00 cost. Members were required
to purchase four bonds at $50.00 each.
The club purchased adjacent property in 1966. In time, a new driveway
was constructed from the parking lot to the foot of Stokesay Street
to replace the dangerous Sleepy Hollow entrance.
News Enterprise, August 20, 1959, p. 1, September 8, 1966, p. 8.