In 1926, William Ludlow donated 5 acres of land at the northwest corner
of Oak and Adela Avenues for use by the city as a park. The gift was
given as a memorial to his brother Albert S. Ludlow. The first park
board was appointed in 1926 and consisted of the following residents:
A.W. Evans, William R. Purcell, and Mrs. K.M. Klinger. In 1927, the
citizens of the city began holding meetings to discuss improvements
for the park. Formal meetings began to be held that included representatives
from all the churches and fraternal organizations. The Committee established
a fundraising goal of $10,000.00. The successful drive was held between
May 2 and 14, 1927.
The first playground equipment was installed in the park in 1928. In
that same year, several tennis courts were also constructed. Ludlow's
progressive park board added a swimming pool in 1931. The pool ranged
from of 1 ½' to 3' in depth. The $1,600.00 pool was dedicated
on June 20, 1931.
In 1932, a $3,500.00 shelter house was constructed in the park. The
structure was designed by city engineer, W.L. Glazier. A large fountain
was constructed in front of this shelter house in 1933 (today, the Ludlow
War Memorial is located on the site of this fountain). The fountain
was dedicated on September 23, 1933. At this same time, a set of stairs
was built from Elm Street to the new fountain and shelter house. The
cost of these improvements totaled $1,300.00.
Kentucky Post, January 30, 1932, p. 1; Kentucky Times-Star, September
22, 1933, p. 1, June 22, 1931, p. 1.