Boniface and James Parish was established in 1980 by a decree of Bishop
William A. Hughes of the Diocese of Covington. The Catholic population
reached a peak in the 1950s. At that time, Ludlow's two Catholic parishes
recorded a total membership of 2,000.
In the years following World War II, the suburbs of Northern Kentucky
began attracting many Ludlow residents. Ludlow's Catholic population declined
as a result.
In 1980, St. Boniface and St. James Parishes were merged. The former facilities
of St. James Parish were utilized by the new congregation. In 1981, Sts.
Boniface and James Church was completely remodeled.
The over all declining overall population of Ludlow resulted in fewer
school aged children. At the close of the 1983-1984 school year, St. James-St.
Boniface School closed. In 1986, the parish, in co-operation with three
Covington parishes, established Prince of Peace Elementary School on Pike
Street in Covington.
The pastors of Sts. Boniface and James Church have been: Rev. Robert
Reinke (1977-1983), Rev. Joseph J. Rueter (1983-1993), and the Reverend
Allan W. Bradley (1993-2003 ), Deacon Jim Auton (2003-).
The Church was restored in 2006.
Schroeder, David E., United in Faith: A History of the Catholic Church
in Ludlow, Kentucky, 1872-1997.