Twenty-two charter members established the First Church of the Nazarene
on June 30, 1939. The congregation originally met in the Odd Fellows Hall
on Elm Street. Later, they erected a tent at 222 Elm Street where they
met until a permanent building was constructed.
Property was purchased on the southeast corner of Oak and Davies Streets
as a site for a new church. The congregation broke ground for the new
building on May 4, 1941. An addition to the building was made in the mid
Ministers of the congregation when it was in Ludlow were: Joseph Butcher,
Charlie Gore, Ollie Huff, Hugh Dean, Curtis Lee, and Arthur O. Little.
In the mid 1960s, Rev. Little constructed a new church for the congregation
in Fort Wright. The old building at the corner of Oak and Davis Streets
eventually became the home of Duro Paper Bag Manufacturers.
Most Ludlow residents of the congregation followed Rev. Little to Fort
Wright. Nineteen members, however, wished to establish a new congregation
in Ludlow. In July 1967, a new Ludlow Church of the Nazarene was established
at 52 Ringgold Street in Ludlow. The first permanent minister of this
congregation was the Rev. Robert E. Bell.
Ludlow Centennial Souvenir Program, 1864-1964, p. 25, Kentucky Post,
May 3, 1941, p. 1; News Enterprise, October 10, 1968, p. 1.