Boll was born on March 15, 1866 in Cincinnati. He moved to Ludlow with
his parents, Jacob and Louisa Schlueter Boll, in 1882. Boll left a tangible
legacy in Ludlow and Northern Kentucky through the many buildings he
Among Boll's designs include: St. Boniface Convent, Ludlow (1890), St.
Boniface Church, Ludlow (1892-93), main buildings at the Ludlow Lagoon
(1894), Odd Fellows Hall, Ludlow (1889), and the Annunciation Catholic
School, Paris (1895). The firm Boll and Taylor designed the following
structures: Woodford Apartment Building in Covington (1897) and the
Covington Public Library (1901). The firm Boll and Beck designed the
Cincinnati Friars Clubhouse (1928).
Boll and his wife Margaret lived with his sister, Mrs. Augustus Mutz,
at 59 Kenner Street in Ludlow for 27 years. He died on June 12, 1941
from cardiac failure and was buried at Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati.
He left one son, John H. Boll Jr.
Kentucky Post, June 13, 1941, p. 1, January 16, 1897, p. 5; Cincinnati
Post, April 30, 1928, p. 11; Commonwealth of Kentucky Death Certificate,