The Family Theater was established in c. 1916 and was located at 633
Main Street in Covington’s west end. The establishment was the
largest and most popular theater on the west end.
The construction of new theaters in the suburbs in the post World War
era resulted in lower ticket sales at the Family. By 1950, business
was poor. The owners at this time were Ethel Shafer and Helen Schloman.
The theater closed in the early 1950s. The Family Theater was sold to
the Covington Revival Center in August 1956. This organization used
the building for religious services.
Kentucky Post, August 2, 1999, p. 4k; Kentucky Times-Star, August
16, 1956, p. 1a; Covington City Directory 1916.