West Covington Kelly-Furnish Veterans of World War II Post 7099
The Kelly-Furnish Post of the Veterans of World War II was established in
West Covington in the years following the war. The post was named after
Michael Kelly and Edward Furnish, two Covington casualties from World
Members of the post financed the construction of a permanent hall in
1956. The building was located on Reed Street in West Covington. The
new building was dedicated in November 1956. The principal speaker at
the event was Maj. Charles Stander of Ludlow. State Senator Carl Ruh
also addressed the crowd. The Post Commander at the time of the dedication
was Bud McAmis.
The post has supported community events in the neighborhood since its
establishment. They also sponsored the West Covington Memorial Day parade
for many years. The highlight of the parade was always the service at
the war memorial in front of the firehouse at the corner of Parkway
Avenue and Altamont Road.
Although fewer in number, the Kelly-Furnish Post continued to be an
active force in the neighborhood.
Kentucky Times-Star, November 12, 1956, p. 1; News Enterprise, May
23, 1957, p. 1.