City of West Covington never sponsored a volunteer fire department. Instead,
the city relied on neighboring departments. When West Covington was annexed
by Covington in 1916, one of the biggest selling points was coverage by
the Covington Fire Department. Following annexation, plans were made to
build a firehouse in the West Covington neighborhood. Originally, plans
called for the building to be constructed on Highway Avenue. These plans
were changed in 1933. The new firehouse was constructed at the intersection
of Altamont and Parkway Avenue. The building had one bay and contained living
and sleeping quarters for the firefighters. The building was completed in
January 1934 and was built at the cost of $10,000.
Kentucky Post, December 14, 1931; Kentucky Times-Star, December 8,
1933, p. 1 and January 13, 1934, p. 1.