Breweries were part of the Lewisburg scene from the earliest settlement
of the neighborhood. German residents provided not only a ready market
for the product, but also an ample supply of talented brew masters and
One of the earliest breweries in the Lewisburg neighborhood was the Duhme
& Company Brewery (also known as the Lexington Brewery).
The business was operated by Margaret Duhme and William Schild and was
located on the north side of Pike Street between Lewis and Western Row.
The brewery was established in 1859. Later the brewery was owned by H.H.
Kurre. In 1866, H.H. Kurre sold the establishment to J.H. Herzog, Feliz
Fritz, and Philip Ammann for $45,000.
Another early brewery in the neighborhood was the Lewisburg Brewery.
This brewery was established in 1866 by Charles Lang and Frank Knoll.
The plant was located at the northwest corner of Lewis and Baker Streets.
In 1886, John Seiler became the sole owner of the brewery. Newspaper articles
of the day indicate that he paid $100,000 for the business. Four years
later, much of the business was destroyed by fire. The facility was rebuilt.
Beginning in the 1890s, the Lewisburg Brewery changed hands several times.
The name of the business also underwent several changes. In 1892, the
business was sold to Theodore Selhorst and Benjamin Graziani. In 1895,
the name of the brewery was changed to the Phoenix Brewery.
Two years later, the name was again changed, this time to the Covington
The Covington Brewing Company drew the ire of Lewisburg residents in the
early 1900’s. In 1911, Covington’s Health Officer, Dr. Wallingford,
fined the brewery for producing a smoke nuisance. Lewisburg residents
argued that the plant produced large amounts of soot that blanketed the
neighborhood. One housewife claimed that she had swept up two pounds of
soot from her sidewalk in one day. Eventually the brewery was charged
with violating the city’s smoke ordinance. The case went to trial
on August 1, 1911. After hearing testimony, Judge A.E. Stricklett, threw
out the case citing a lack of sufficient evidence. The brewery officially
closed its doors in 1918 at the onset of Prohibition. Charles P. Lang
owned the company at this time.
Many other breweries operated in Lewisburg. These include: Covington Star
Brewing Company (early 1900s), Knor, Rush and Schaub (late 1870s), J.H.
Steinriedge (early 1880s), Windisch & Company (early 1880s), J.H.
Deglow and Company (late 1860s), J.H. Herzog & Company (late 1860s
through the early 1870s) Best and Brenner Brewery (1870s), and Bavarian
(see separate article for Bavarian Brewery History).
Wimberg, Robert J., Cincinnati Breweries. (Cincinnati, Ohio: Ohio Book
Store) 1989, pp. 35, 59 and 90; Kentucky Post, March 27, 1895, p. 3, July
27, 1911, p. 3 and August 1, 1911, p. 2; Covington Journal, December 12,
1868, p. 3.