Bishop Carrell Council Knights of Columbus was established in Covington
on February 15, 1903. It was the first Knights of Columbus Council established
in the Diocese of Covington. The council was named after Bishop George
A. Carrell, first Bishop of the diocese.
The council acquired the old Methodist Church on E. 11th Street near
Madison Avenue and remodeled the building to serve as a hall and meeting
rooms. During the late 1920s, the Carrell Council moved to temporary
quarters in the Covington Odd Fellows Hall. At time, their previous
hall on 11th Street became the home of Covington Latin School.
council hall was erected in 1929-1930 at 1032 Madison Avenue. The cornerstone
of the structure was set into place by Father Ignatius Ahman, Pastor
of St. Aloysius Church, on March 7, 1930. Judge Frank M. Tracy was the
principal speaker on the occasion. Bishop Francis W. Howard officiated
at the dedication of the building on October 12, 1930. Then new quarters
were designed by architect Thomas J. Collopy in a style reminiscent
of an Italian castle. The first floor of the building contained: Offices
for the secretary and building manager; lounges for men, women and children;
a library; kitchen and council room. The second floor housed a large
ballroom, two lounge rooms and two meeting rooms. The basement level
contained six bowling lanes, a billiards room and a shower facility.
Membership in the council remained stable until the 1950s. Many former
members had moved to the suburbs. In 1961 the council’s hall on
Madison Avenue was acquired by Villa Madonna College. The college named
the structure Columbus Hall in honor of the knights. Columbus Hall housed
the college library (in the former ballroom), cafeteria and student
union. In 1967, the lower level of the building was remodeled to serve
and physics laboratories and offices. In 1972, the college sold Columbus
The sale of the 1930 building left Bishop Carrell Council without meeting
and social facilities. Initially, meetings were held at St. John School
in Covington. The council then moved to rented quarters in Latonia.
In the late 1960s, the council purchased the former Shady Shores Fishing
Lake. The property included 162 acres of land and a two-story building.
In 1973, a large hall was built as an addition to the original building.
Bishop Richard Ackerman dedicated the new facility on March 17, 1974.
The Shady Shores property is now home to the Covington Fraternal Order
Charter Members – Bishop Carrell Council 702
M.B.Cannon, M.J. Costigan, John Dillon Jr., W.J. Dineen, D.E. Driscoll,
John Fischer, Louis Gehring, Thomas W. Gleason, H.W. Haglage, Harry
Healy, Thomas Healy, Matthew Herold, Dr. M. Higgins, Frank Johnson,
John D. Kearney, George W. Keefer, William H. Newell, John O’Day,
James B. Pye, John B. Read, J.G. Reagan, Edward F. Redmond, George A.
Reed, Dr. W. Richmond, Edward Robinson, Maurice J. Sexton and Frank
M. Tracy (first Grand Knight).
Knights of Columbus – Kentucky State Council (Paducah: Turner
Publishing) 1993, p. 34; Kentucky Post, January 25, 1930, p. 4, January
31, 1930, p. 2, February 6, 1930, February 7, 1930, p. 1 and October
12, 1930, p. 14.