Catholic High School was established in 1925, however, its roots can
be traced back to 1885. In that year, the Brothers of Mary of Dayton,
took charge of the boys’ school and opened a commercial high school
for boys at St. Joseph Parish at 12th and Greenup Streets. The commercial
high school offered a two-year curriculum and was named St. Joseph High
By the 1920s, the need for a four-year academic high school for young
men in Covington was apparent. Bishop Francis W. Howard approached the
Brothers of Mary at St. Joseph and asked them to open such a school.
The Brothers agreed to do so, but lacked a suitable facility. Monsignor
Henry Tappert of Mother of God Parish offered space in his elementary
school of 6th Street. In September 1925, the new Covington Catholic
High School opened with 32-freshman in the Mother of God School building.
The first principal was Brother Anthony Weber S.M. (Society of Mary).
In 1926, the Brothers of Mary closed St. Joseph Commercial High School
to focus their attention on Covington Catholic. By 1929, Covington Catholic
maintained an enrollment of over 100 in the freshman through senior
classes. Enrollment had to be capped at 35 students per grade do to
limited amount of classroom space. The year 1929 also witnessed the
schools accreditation by the Commonwealth of Kentucky and the Southern
Associations of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
Covington Catholic High School was hampered from the beginning by a
lack of space. In 1935, the pastors of the Kenton County parishes proposed
to Bishop Howard that the entire Mother of God School building be purchased
for $75,000 and turned over to CCH. Under this proposal, the elementary
students of Mother of God Parish would attend nearby Notre Dame Academy.
This plan, however, was never carried through due to the lack of financial
resources. The Great Depression was having an enormous impact on the
economy and school officials did not think they could raise the necessary
The baby boom of the post World War II era made the construction of
a new school building necessary. A 14-acre parcel of land was acquired
at 1600 Dixie Highway in the suburban community of Park Hills as a site
for a new building. Plans called for a three-story building with basement
and gymnasium consisting of 44,000 square feet. The cost of the building
and the site reached the sum of $845,49.44. The cost was split evenly
among the sponsoring parishes: In Covington: Cathedral, Holy Cross,
Mother of God, St. Aloysius, St. Ann. St. Augustine, St. Benedict, St.
John and St. Joseph; the two Ludlow Parishes of St. Boniface and St.
James; St. Agnes in Fort Wright and Blessed Sacrament in Fort Mitchell.
The class of 1955 was the first to graduate from the new campus.
Covington Catholic flourished at the new location. Enrollment skyrocketed
throughout the 1950s and 1960s. New buildings were constructed on the
campus including a three-story residence for the Brothers of Mary, Wooten
Field and the Scott Knochelmann Athletic Building (1988).
The 1955 building served the CCH community for nearly five decades.
In the year 2001, school officials began planning for the construction
of a new academic building on the Park Hills site. A successful capital
campaign was conducted in 2002 and permission was received from Bishop
Roger Foys to begin construction. Plans called for the demolition of
the brothers’ residence and the construction of the new building
behind the 1955 structure. When the new building was completed, the
old academic building was demolished. The new Covington Catholic High
School was dedicated on December 7, 2003 by Bishop Roger Foys.
Paul Ryan, History of the Diocese of Covington (1955); David E.
Schroeder, History of the Diocese of Covington (2001); Archives of the
Diocese of Covington.