The exact date of the establishment of the Bromley Public School is
in question. One source indicates that the system began in 1863, however,
this source has not been confirmed. A history of the City of Bromley
does state that the first school was housed in the paint store of H.
1893, the citizens of the town realized that a more modern building
was necessary. At that time, Mr. John Rohman donated a lot on Shelby
Street for a site as a new school. The town purchased two adjoining
lots. On these lots, a small brick schoolhouse was constructed. The
building contained a central entrance flanked by classrooms on either
side. A small belfry also topped the building.
The small district relied heavily on local taxes to support the school.
In May 1916, the school was closed early due to a lack of funds. At
that time, nearly 200 students were enrolled. The faculty consisted
on four teachers. A description of the school building in 1922 noted
that the building contained four classrooms.
Bromley never sponsored a high school program. A number of Bromley students
attended nearby Ludlow High School, but were charged tuition for the
privilege. In 1920, a number of residents filed suit to force the district
to offer high school courses. The suit was struck down by the Kenton
County Circuit Court.
The issue of a high school was again raised in 1936. State officials
mandated that every independent school district provide a high school
curriculum. Bromley school and city officials were faced with three
options: finance a high school, merge with the Kenton County District,
or merge with the Ludlow Independent School District (This last option
also required merging the two cities of Ludlow and Bromley). A majority
of Bromley citizens favored the option to merge the cities and school
districts of Bromley and Ludlow. Bromley town officials officially requested
that they be annexed by the City of Ludlow. The city council of Ludlow,
however, denied the request. The Bromley Independent School District
ceased to exist in September 1936. Bromley children continued to attend
elementary school in the old Bromley School. High school aged residents
were assigned to the new Dixie Heights High School in Edgewood.
A new Bromley Elementary School was built in 1950 by the Kenton County
School District. The new structure was located at the northwest corner
of Boone and Harris Streets. This building was remodeled in 1962. Children
from Bromley, and sections of Villa Hills attended the school.
The population of Villa Hills grew quickly in the 1980s and 1990s. Members
of the Kenton County School Board began planning for a new school in
Villa Hills that would replace Bromley Elementary. Bromley residents
protested the plan, but due to their small numbers were not successful.
In 1992, the new River Ridge School began operation. Bromley students
were now bused to River Ridge, ending nearly 130 years of public school
education in the city.
Kentucky Post, May 5, 1916 and p. 1, April 1, 1920, p. 1; Kentucky-Times
Star, September 9, 2936, p. 1 and September 10, 1936, p. 1; Reis, Jim,
Pieces of the Past (Kentucky Post 1991) p. 89-90.